Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I will leave the light on for you...



I'm tossing my kitten heels over the next cliff I come across.


I want to exchange them for the sound of your laugh and your smile, your sweet embrace that I don't yet know of. I want to trade them in for hiking boots I can climb a million mountains in, with you by my side. For the magic of that first time you touch my hand, fingers lingering on my palm for just the right amount of seconds before they slip down to intertwine with my fingers. My chipped pink nail polish so obviously girly against your calloused hands. A perfect fit. And you don't even mind that my nails are chipped.


I am going to collect all my lonely & sleepless nights and put them in a jar, a jar to throw off that cliff along with the heels, to trade in for your embrace and your arm around me while I sleep in peace because I know that when I wake up in the morning you will be next to me, and maybe you'll keep me up snoring all night, but I will even be grateful for that sound because you're right there. To trade for my last "first kiss." Warming the normally empty spot next to me. To see your face when you wake up with your sleepy eyes and messy hair and fall in love with you even more because you're not "perfect," but you're perfect for me.


I don't know you yet, but I hope to know you soon. I press on through my days, making myself a pot of coffee each morning that I can't finish alone and having leftovers for days after I cook because there isn't another to feed. I don't care if you don't like my cooking once you get here, I will keep trying, even if we have to order take-out for a full year. :)


My friend told me something very wise today while I await the next adventure in my life, which I pray includes meeting you...she said, "We never know what He is saving for us, or saving us from, or bringing us to, or keeping us exactly where we are, but if that's where He wants us, it's right."


Amen.


I'll leave the light on for you love.

<3



No comments: